The objective of UNIQUE is to develop a knowledge-based quality control system for manufacturing industry. It will comprise an intelligent system for interaction with the user, linked to offline and online quality control process subsystems, and incorporate a database which will contain all documentation relevant to quality control. It will be a stand-alone system with the facility to be integrated with other company systems.
Work will include:
- development of quality control planning and support
- development of monitoring facilities for manufacturing processes
- provision of on-line help to reduce the need for operator training
- facilities for off-line analysis and diagnosis
- support for supplier evaluation and product history traccability
- development of report writing facilities, producing documents to the ODA (Office Document Architecture) standard.
Pilot demonstrations are foreseen in electronics and heavy engineering industries. The results will be applicable to industry in general including SMEs. They will be incorporated in products marketed by vendor members of the consortium.