Periodic Reporting for period 1 - PerMarDrive (Integrated PERmanent Magnet Motor-Clutch Drive for Parallel Hybrid Power MARINE Propulsion Systems)
Reporting period: 2015-12-01 to 2016-05-31
PerMarDrive represents an innovative approach in providing Parallel Hybrid Marine Propulsion Systems (MPS) with a solution that includes TEMA patent protected Permanent Magnet AC motor (PMAC) coupled with an integrated clutch drive-
The overall objective is to build, demonstrate and deliver an integrated PMAC-clutch controlled drive for Parallel Hybrid MPS applications that range up to 1500kW electric (kWe) which matches our full PMAC product range.
This is a summary report of the Feasibility study carried by TEMA for the PerMarDrive project. Phase 1 of the PerMarDrive project focused on 6 main objectives:
1. To conduct an assessment and quantification any risks, including mitigation of technical, financial, commercial, management, legislative and political risks that could affect the project’s success and come up with a contingency plan.
2. To conduct a global market study detailing key customers, market size and conduct competitor analysis across the largest MPS markets.
3. To conduct a partner search and form collaborations with potential distribution and supply chain partners in the maritime propulsion systems industry, and have access to global markets.
4. To optimize the system capabilities according to results from user engagement and feedback from an independent validation process and further assert its fitness for purpose in 2 months.
5. To reinforce the product with additional patents within 6 months and beyond by developing an Innovation Management Strategy to document Legal and Intellectual Property (IP) issues associated with our solution, as may originate from insights gained through user engagements in our target markets.
6. To develop a comprehensive business plan including a project risk assessment to update and refine our existing business plan into a comprehensive document with a 5 year outlook consolidating our feasibility study activities and add a detailed work plan.
This innovation is a disruptive technology that will change the landscape of the marine vessel industry capable to hybridize a wider range of Marine Propulsion System applications for lower emissions and higher efficiency. The PerMarDrive innovation therefore offers, to a world of working and passenger vessels, as well as recreational boats, a parallel Hybrid MPSs (for vessels up to 2x5MW) that is reliable and effective thereby contributing to the harbors air pollution reduction.
The limitations of the SOA using lower speed with a patented permanent magnet alternating current (PMAC) motor able to rotate at high revolutions (>2000RPM) and high powers (up to 1.5MW) utilizing an integrated clutch with control system as a compact parallel propulsion drive solution is a key component in this innovation project.
Its successful implementation and commercialization of will enable TEMA o to penetrate and consolidate new markets thereby supporting the company’s strategic growth plans. In addition, it will also contribute on a global scale to decrease greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions enabling ‘zero emission’ operating mode in restricted areas, such as national parks and similar.