African societies face growing global change risks, with rapidly changing patterns of human settlements and intensity of use of ecosystem services. At the same time, climate variability and climate change trends are intensifying stress on the ecosystems that ensure environmental security, both locally (e.g. ecosystem services), regionally (e.g. sustainable development options) and internationally (e.g. carbon sequestration). Approaches that can address this challenge in an integrated and multidisciplinary way are urgently needed in many places in Africa where there is a close relationship between societal well-being and environmental condition, relating particularly to biomass for energy and food production, and hydrological considerations such as water yields.
Policymakers and land-use decision makers are increasingly dependent on knowledge on the state of the environment. Long-term observational systems and research infrastructures have been identified to be indispensable elements of knowledge generation to serve climate change adaptation, food security, and climate change mitigation.
This proposal supports EU-African cooperation on research infrastructures. Its aims are to increase coherence and interoperability between infrastructures in Europe and Africa, to enhance technical competence, science awareness and life-long learning in Africa in order to facilitate the use of research results for evidence-based policy making, and to identify knowledge gaps for future research directions. The project will
1) identify the essential parameters needed to develop science based strategies to improve food and nutrition security including early warning systems and to mitigate climate change,
2) formulate a roadmap towards fully interoperable and accessible research infrastructures in agricultural and climate research in the EU and Africa that match the needs of the users, and
3) deliver a contribution to capacity building and human capital development in Africa.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/atmospheric sciences/climatology/climatic changes
- /engineering and technology/other engineering and technologies/food and beverages
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/ecology/ecosystems
- /social sciences/other social sciences/social sciences interdisciplinary/sustainable development
- /engineering and technology/other engineering and technologies/food and beverages/food safety
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/atmospheric sciences/climatology
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/natural resource management
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCSA - Coordination and support action
PMB CT504 Cantonments Accra