The fuel cells and hydrogen (FCH) industry has made considerable progress toward market deployment. However existing legal framework and administrative processes (LAPs) – covering areas such as planning, safety, installation and operation – only reflect use of incumbent technologies. The limited awareness of FCH technologies in LAPs, the lack of informed national and local administrations and the uncertainty on the legislation applicable to FCH technologies elicit delays and extra-costs, when they do not deter investors or clients.
This project aims at tackling this major barrier to deployment as follows:
• Systematically identifying and describing the LAPs applicable to FCH technologies in 18 national legal systems as well as in the EU proper legal system.
• Assessing and quantifying LAP impacts in time and/or resource terms and identify those LAP constituting a legal barrier to deployment.
• Comparing the 18 countries to identify best and bad practices
• Raising awareness in the countries where a LAP creates a barrier to deployment.
• Advocating targeted improvements in each of 18 countries + EU level
• It will make all this work widely available through: (1) A unique online database allowing easy identification, description and assessment of LAPs by country and FCH application. (2) Policy papers by applications and by country with identification of best practice and recommendations for adapting LAP. (3) A series of national (18) and European (1) workshops with public authorities and investors.
HyLAW sets up a National Association Alliance not just for the duration of the project, but for the long term consolidation of the sector under a single unified umbrella. By bringing together these national associations and all of Hydrogen Europe’s members, it’s the first time ever that the entire European FCH sector is brought together with a clear and common ambition.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/fuel cell
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeFCH2-CSA - Coordination & support action
240050 Ramnicu Valcea
G75 0QF East Kilbride
2745 851 Massama E Monte Abraao
CO6 3BW Colchester