In this flagship project, the EnFAIT (Enabling Future Arrays in Tidal) Team, a partnership of leading European companies, will demonstrate a grid-connected tidal energy array that:
- demonstrates a step change in the lifetime cost of energy for tidal power;
- proves that high array reliability & availability can be achieved with best practice maintenance regimes;
- captures and disseminates substantial learning on fundamental issues for the ocean energy industry;
- builds investor confidence;
- takes a huge step towards creating a commercial, bankable tidal energy sector; and
- at 6 turbines, will be the largest number of devices ever deployed in an ocean energy array.
This project will build upon an existing operational site, minimising development risk and allowing the generation of real-world results from day one. The technology used in the array has 100% EU content. The layout of the turbines will be adjusted within the project, enabling array interactions and optimisation to be studied for the first time at a real tidal energy site.
Fields of science
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action
CW12 1QJ Congleton Cheshire
TR11 4AY Falmouth
LA14 1HR Barrow-in- Furness