SUSFERT addresses the massive usage of mineral fertilisers in EU agriculture, which are largely based on non-renewable resources, but are required in intensive crop production for meeting demands for food and feed. SUSFERT will develop multifunctional fertilisers for phosphorus (P) and iron (Fe) supply, which will fit into existing production processes and common EU agricultural practice.
The SUSFERT innovation combines bio-based and biodegradable coatings, probiotics, and the renewable P-source struvite in at least four novel sustainable P and Fe fertiliser products, which may partly or fully replace unsustainable and resource-intense conventional ones. SUSFERT will test novel organic formulations, microgranules, granules, and liquid fertilizer products in field trials, evaluate them regarding economic potential and environmental sustainability, ensure regulatory compliance and establish industry-scale production processes (TRL 7-8). Technological concepts include 1) probiotics based on P and Fe solubilizing Bacilli and Actinobacteria; 2) microbial siderophore (Fe chelator) produced in a demonstration plant; 3) enzymatic modification of the by-product lignin for cost effective, biodegradable controlled release coatings and product stabilization and 4) demonstration of struvite, a renewable P-source from wastewater, as a partial substitute of mineral P. Five industrial, three SME and three academic partners will contribute expertise along the whole value chain in biotechnology, microbiology, large-scale fermentation, fertilizer production and sales. We will fit the SUSFERT products into the regulatory and policy context for conventional and organic agriculture in various pedo-climatic conditions in Europe and prepare rapid market entry post-project.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/coating and films
- /engineering and technology/industrial biotechnology/bioprocessing technologies/fermentation
- /natural sciences/biological sciences/microbiology/bacteriology
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/production economics
- /social sciences/other social sciences/social sciences interdisciplinary/sustainable development
- /agricultural sciences/agriculture, forestry, and fisheries/agriculture
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/soil science/edaphology
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/inorganic chemistry/inorganic compounds
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeBBI-IA-DEMO - Bio-based Industries Innovation action - Demonstration
6211 AA Maastricht