CORDIS
EU research results

CORDIS

English EN

A rapid non-invasive on-chip miRNA-based Sputum Assay for early stage Lung Cancer Screening

Project information

Grant agreement ID: 894227

Status

Grant agreement signed

  • Start date

    1 January 2021

  • End date

    31 December 2022

Funded under:

H2020-EU.1.3.2.

  • Overall budget:

    € 172 932,48

  • EU contribution

    € 172 932,48

Coordinated by:

UNIVERSIDAD DE VIGO

Spain

Objective

Lung cancer is one of the leading causes of cancer mortality in the world accounting for an estimated 1.8 million deaths, 18.4% of the total in 2018. Approximately 85% of lung cancers are classified as non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), a less aggressive form of tumor than small cell lung cancer (the remaining 15% of all lung cancers).
The gold standard diagnostic methods for lung cancer patients include X-ray, low-dose CT and sputum cytology which are not efficient for early stage diagnosis of lung cancer. Lately, analysis of molecular markers has been proposed as a useful tool for cancer diagnosis in early stage. Molecular analysis of sputum is reported for identifying the cells bearing tumor-related genetic aberrations; therefore, it is specific and sensitive than cytological analysis. Furthermore, using non-invasive sputum sample have potential application for screening by molecular methods for regular health checking clinics.
The proposed interdisciplinary methodology is to combine the Micro-RNA (miRNA) bioassay on microfluidic chip with Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS) spectroscopy. The goal of the project is to develop non-invasive detection of early stage (I, II) lung cancer using miRNA biomarker on-chip with multiplexed SERS technology. The overall system integrates a microfluidic device with gold particle linked with RNA probes that can capture target miRNA biomarkers for lung cancer cells. The SERS is used to generate a signal peaks when a positive test result occurs.
Importantly, this biosensor platform will have several advantages over existing techniques. i) It is a label-free, amplification-free method for rapid miRNA detection. ii) The sensor platform can monitor multiple targets simultaneously. The project will eventually develop a portable and novel integrated platform by incorporating commercially available custom made portable Raman detectors for sensitive and selective detection of lung cancer at very early stage.

Coordinator

UNIVERSIDAD DE VIGO

Address

Lg Campus Lagoas Marcosende
36310 Vigo Pontevedra

Spain

Activity type

Higher or Secondary Education Establishments

EU Contribution

€ 172 932,48

Project information

Grant agreement ID: 894227

Status

Grant agreement signed

  • Start date

    1 January 2021

  • End date

    31 December 2022

Funded under:

H2020-EU.1.3.2.

  • Overall budget:

    € 172 932,48

  • EU contribution

    € 172 932,48

Coordinated by:

UNIVERSIDAD DE VIGO

Spain