The IMAGES 2000 project deals with the improvement to Dependability features of avionics systems in an advanced IMA context. The study is focused on the modules of the cabinets and on the application software. The purpose is to know how to enhance the dependability of these components and how to check this dependability. In parallel, development related aspects are also considered.
The objectives of this project are:
To use the Images 2000 field to discuss future IMA standardizations and make it possible for European firms to have a common position in international committees.
Given the analysis of most recent results in dependability areas and its applicability to the IMA context, to provide Guidelines for IMA components (LRMs, Applications) and their development. This document will be edited out of the project and must be the reference for any future European aircraft cooperation.
To define a shared approach to the Certification process for complete IMA systems and effectively discuss with the various national European Certification Airworthiness Authorities all along the project.
The project comprises seven tasks:
- As initialization of the study, the purpose of Task 1 is to define the IMA objectives of the next century and write the general dependability requirements for the IMA systems.
- Then, Task 2 deals with the impact of the dependability requirements on cabinet designing. The main functional features are reviewed in the light of former dependability studies in order to obtain agreement of the aeronautical partners on the architecture of the IMA platform.
- In continuation, three tasks focus their study on critical items for dependability within the modules. Guidelines for obtaining dependable modules must be written and means for checking their dependability defined.
Task 3 deals with Power Supply distribution and Task 4 with I/O modules. Task 5 is concerned with the Core (ie processing) module and pays particular attention to the Executive Software.
- In a similar way, Task 6 concentrates its effort on highly dependable application software programs.
- In parallel, Task 7 has to improve the dependability of the IMA development process. it also proposes a certification plan for IMA systems.
The results of each task synthetized by a report, the set of these reports will be collected into the final report of the project. This final report will be published out of the project and its purpose is to be a reference document for European companies in any future development of IMA based systems.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
80038 Pomigliano D'arco
BS99 7AR Bristol
28906 Getafe Madrid
5600 MB Eindhoven
1117 ZJ Schiphol Oost
GL52 4SF Cheltenham