The objective is to develop recyclable plastic films with specific spectra, pigment concentrations and light densities, to cover the plants as an alternative to chemical growth inhibitors for growth control and development of ornamental crops.
Specific objectives are:
- development of new coloured plastic films with specific properties to obtain the growth inhibiting effect and plant habitus comparable to or better than a classical chemical treatment;
- development of the appropriated technology to use these films for growth inhibition, as an ecological alternative for chemical growth inhibitors;
- reduction of the use of chemical plant growth retardants;
- production of ornamental plants with the same or a better quality than those obtained through chemical manipulation;
- the experiment will be performed with 3 cultivars of the following species, responding to this ecologically sound alternative growing method : Dendranthema, Kalanchoë, Hypoëstes and Azalea;
- exploration of altered or new cultural techniques to promote and introduce a more ecologically way of cultivating;
- evaluation of new pigments which influence specific wavelengths, but without reducing the intensity of the other wavelengths;
- exploration of the influence of the prevailing climatic conditions on the different experimental plots (Portugal, the Netherlands and Belgium).
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
4353 RC Serooskerke (W)