The research objectives of this project cover the following points:
- The impact of the pedoclimatic conditions in the countries of Southern Europe on productivity in oil and the ricinoleic acid cultivated in 5 different varieties. Gathering of the data on the farming cycle, the development of the yield and the quality of the seeds ...
- Knowledge of the basic physiological mechanisms (factors concerning germination, variation and factors limiting fruit set rates).
- Definition of technical routes adapted to each production area, allowing the production of quality castor bean (improvement of the growth, optimization of the density of hydrous and nitrogenized feeding, protection against pests ).
- Production of the hybrid varieties at a lower cost, by the creation of male sterile "sensitive" lines; influence of the genotypes on the quality of the seeds and taking into account qualitative and technological criterion account in the selection plans.
- Development of new products containing castor oil : deacidification, and dehydration of castor oil to produce polyurethanes, production of surface-active containing ricinobetaine, ester or polyester synthesis polyhydroxyles from derivatives of the castor bean for biolubrifiants, evaluations competitive between the sugar derivatives and starches obtained by condensation with traditional monofunctional bifunctional groups resulting from ricinus.
The culture of castor bean and its mechanised harvesting is possible today in the South of Europe with a yield which can attain 14 with 18 qx/ha. The European chemical industry uses between 100 and 120 000 T of oils equivalent annually. The development of this exclusively non food production will be strengthened by an increase in the average yields in major plot by improvement of the quality of the grains, particularly the content of the oil and ricinoleic acid as well as by an expansion of the industrial uses of castor oil.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
16010 Isoverde Genova