- Most of the deposit are defined and give coatings with required properties.
- Gas burners of GDF (non adhesive and wear resistance application - DECA 10 coating).
At present, GDF is in relation with two manufacturers to ensure industrial development. They have to work together in order to validate an industrial polishing technique in evaluating its industrial feasibility. Indeed, all the processes (surface preparation, thermal spraying) ensure now a good reproductibility of the coating quality except for the final step : polishing.
Moreover, the polished finish cannot be used on complex shape. Then another technique named microballing is currently studied.
- Pistons of CR-FIAT (thermal barrier application - HEXA 13 coating).
After several difficulties linked to a complex shape and the nature of the substrate, all processes were mastered : surface preparation and thermal spraying on top of pistons, machining operation in order to eliminate the coating surplus on the lateral sides.
An engine bench was performed on three pistons with complete success.
- Blades for aircraft engine (INTA, ONERA) (thermal berrier application - HEXA 13 coating)
A complete engine bench was performed including 15 blades with HEXA 13 coating.
The engine worked for 12 hours at maximum power without any problem.
The results (micrographies to analyse the structure of the coating) will be discussed in September 97 and attached to the final report.
- Naturally, the availability of the ICO25B3 and HEXA 13 powders is to be ranked as a successful result as well as that of the QC + Zr O(2) mixed cords which may be used in low cost thermal insulation. A complete data base on alloy compositions and thermal properties versus temperature is available.
New metallic materials, patented and produced on an industrial basis by partners of the consortium for the propose of one specific application, may be used as well for preparing Thermal Barrier Coatings and Low Friction Coatings. Their thermal conductivity is of the magnitude of that of zirconia and they offer friction coefficients with respect to steel in the range 0.08 - 0.15. Contrary to conventional ceramic, they are electronic conductors and may be welded.
The project is aimed at:
- improving the performances of present materials, especially at high temperature (1100 C),
- mastering the technology of coating preparation: Physical Vapour Deposition, Plasma Spraying, including welded plasma deposited coatings,
- challenge present applications and develop new ones in the fields of gas combustion chambers, aircraft engines and car engines.
The proposer consortium is composed of university laboratories, research centres, producers of mterials and equipments and consummer industries acting in three different domains (gas combustion, automotive and aeronautics which share the demand for high performance thermal insulation and low friction components. Energy savings and improved engine performances are expected together with the breakthrough of a new market in powder metallurgy and gas heated devices. Benefical impact on environment polution should follow.
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
94407 Vitry Sur Seine
28850 Torrejon De Ardoz