The programme is directed at the development of all-purpose, VOC-compliant organic primer concepts for various aluminium substrates in the Aerospace industry. On the basis of high solids binder matrices, the primers will cover the industry's current and future requirements for corrosion protection without chromate-containing inhibitors. This will represent a significant, major achievement which has not been realised previously. The scientific knowledge gained in the related areas of adhesion and corrosion inhibition will give the support to the primer concept developments.
The major research tasks will concentrate on:
- selection of model primers
- research on corrosion inhibition
- formulation of primer concepts
- applied studies on selected primer concepts
The successful outcome of this challenging, but realistic project will provide:
- an all-purpose, high solids, chromate-free primer for aluminium substrates allowing significant productivity gains
- reduced capital expenditures for installing and for operational costs for solvent abatement equipment(estimated at 2-3 MECU/year)
- reduced health and safety risks as well as conservation of scarce materials(estimated at 5-7 MECU/year)
Potential spin-offs to the automotive, railway and building industries are envisaged as well as growing insight into the requirements for protection of other materials.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
BT3 9DZ Belfast
M60 1QD Manchester