The research results comprises a Refurbishment Protocol and supporting Information system for IAQ assurance in refurbishment work, on a CD ROM. Components of the Protocol include:
- A Data Base on Pollutants from Refurbishment Materials and Process and their TLVs;
- A Methodology for Building Diagnostics and IAQ Surveys of existing buildings;
- Specifications of Measures to control Pollutants through Treatment of Materials at Source, Organisation and Management Procedures for the Work and Design and Operation of HVAC Systems; including a model for estimating the pollution load and rate of decay of the pollution, during and after the application of some selected building materials.
- Specification of a System for Monitoring and Evaluating IAQ in refurbishment work;
- Refurbishment Protocol for IAQ Assurance and Instruction Manuals for use of the protocol;
- An Information System to support implementation of the Protocol which logs all control measures taken into a project database.
The research project takes cognisance of the increasing trend in building refurbishment work in the EC due to an ageing building stock and positive views on the economic viability and environmental advantages of retaining buildings. It also focuses on the "sick building syndrome" and the increasing concern over the social and economic effects of health problems and resulting loss in productivity. There is a strong link between refurbishment work and the indoor air quality (IAQ) which is acknowledged as a main cause of the sick building syndrome. This is largely due to pollutants from demolition of existing materials and concentrated doses of emissions from newly installed materials in the often occupied refurbished building.
This research project will investigate the Refurbishment-IAQ cause and effect relationship in order to develop a refurbishment protocol which ensure IAQ in refurbishment work. Components of the protocol will include a data base on pollutants from the building process and materials, building and IAQ diagnostics. Threshold Limit values for pollutants from demolition and new materials; pollution control measures covering demolition and disposal of existing materials, installation of new materials, organisation and management procedures for the work and design and operation of HVAC systems; an IAQ monitoring and evaluation system and an information system to support implementation of the protocol established. The overall aim being to address health and technological issues in pursuit of a modern and healty refurbished office building to work productively in.
Call for proposalData not available
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
SL6 1LQ Maidenhead
2271 CL Voorburg
3000 BV Rotterdam