The main thrust of the project has been the application of probabilistic principles in all aspects of fire safety assessment and design. This is reflected in the main results of the project which include:
- a methodology for fire safety assessment combining Quantitative Risk analysis and Structural Reliability Analysis techniques,
- a comprehensive methodology for reliability based design optimisation of passive fire protection,
- a suite of software modules assembled into the OFSOS software system,
- a comprehensive case studies on existing offshore platforms,
- guidelines for use of the developed methodology in the fire safety assessment of offshore topsides.
The extension of traditional QRA (Qualified Risk Assessment) techniques to incorporate the effects of fire on the structure may be considered, together with the development and testing of (research level) software to be used in carrying out this kind of additional analyses, as the main technological results of the project. Considerable advance was achieved also in the field of reliability based optimisation, which fact quality the project results in terms of basic research.
20097 San Donato Milanese
OX11 0RA Didcot
KT18 5BW Epsom