The main aim of ASTIMwR project is to develop an application devoted to the integral management of the water resources of a river basin making use of the data provided by Earth Observation Satellites. To achieve this objective, the Guadiana river basin has been selected as the pilot area. The Guadiana basin has a wide range of troubles that cover several fields: administrative, socioeconomic, environmental, hydrologic and hydrogeologic. For this reason, the application that will be developed, will be susceptible to be extrapolated to other river basins.
The general objective we have proposed can be divided in a series of partial objective covering the resolution of the troubles existing in the Guadiana basin:
- Analysis of the operational needs of the customer organizations and the value-added supplied to by the EO-derived information. Identification of a suitabdata supply chain and suitable processing schemes to derive the requiredinformation.
- System design. Ellaboration of the subsystems to implement. - Evapotranspiration mapping.
- Irrigation performance monitoring.
- Management of exploitation regimes in overexploited aquifer areas. - Monitoring of the hydric evolution of Wetlands related with the developmentof irrigation in the surrounding areas.
- Development of a pilot system devoted to manage data and generate basicinformation that might be used at the customer organizations. In order to fulfill the objective of applicability of the system to be designed the project to other areas with water management troubles, a second river basi (Sele rive basin, Italy) has been selected for extrapolation of the system. The previous objectives have been organized in 8 Work Packages (WP'S): WP0 Project Management( GEOSYS)
WP1 Definition study (ITC)
WP2 System design (ITC/GEOSYS)
WP3 Evapotranspiration mapping (SC-DLO)
WP4 Irrigation performance monitoring (SC-DLO/UNAP.IIA)
WP5 Management of exploitation regimes in overexploited aquifer areas (GEOSYS) WP6 Monitoring of hydric evolution of Wetlands (IDR)
WP7 Pilot system ellaboration (ITC/GEOSYS)
WP8 Extrapolation of the EO-products to a study case in Italy (UNAP.IIA) The ASTIMWR project intends to make operational a series of studies carried out by research institutes for the last years. It will serve as a link in remote se transfer between research institutes and agencies for water resources manaqeme _
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
13002 Ciudad Real
84040 Capaccio Scalo Salerno
7500 AA Enschede
80055 Portici Napoli
6700 AC Wageningen