To develop and improve biological elimination as an attractive alternative from a pollution and energy point of view.
The main work elements are:
* Isolation of efficient dehalogenating anaerobic and aerobic organisms and biochemical and physiological characterization of the processes. Selection of primary substrates and their dosage is essential.
* Development of stable biofilms for aerobic and anaerobic dechlorination in a combined or two-stage system.
* Characterization of the biofilm growth with the primary substrates selected under anaerobic and aerobic conditions. Biofilm growth dynamics and microbiological species development will be studied.
* Study of the stability of integration of specialized dechlorinating microorganisms into the biofilm cultures under simulated practical conditions.
Gene probes and/or immunological methods will be used for species identification.
* Kinetics of dechlorination at low concentrations of the halogenated substrates.
* Performance of bench-scale bioreactors that remove chlorinated compounds; combination of anaerobic and aerobic biodegradation processes.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
9747 AG Groningen