The aim of this project is to develop a new instrumentation based on Raman or luminescence spectroscopy in order to provide the microelectronics industry (highly integrated silicon technology and high-power electronics or opto-electronics) with an advanced non-destructive characterization; tool. A generic methodology for the characterization of devices in production environment using the pronosed instrumentation will be established. We will demonstrate the validity of this approach on :
* The measurement of local operating temperatures on high power electronic (microwave transistors) and optical (laser diodes) GaAs devices fabricated at Thomson-CSF and Daimler-Benz.
* The measurement of local stress in sub-micron Si devices fabricated at IMEC.
The project is governed by three objectives :
* The different techniques available necessary to completely characterize the device (operating parameters, materials characterization) will be associated in a single instrument.
* Ultimate performances of the instrument in terms of spatial resolution and adaptation to the real problems will be evaluated.
* A complete methodology for analysis will be developped.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts