In the transport area, a lot of problems occur during peak periods. Demand spreading has been identified as one of the essential means of a sound equilibrium of investments which are related to existing infrastructures.
Demand spreading can be implemented by several means; one of the most relevant is to advise and to inform the end users in pre-trip situation.
Therefore, media such as videotex, audiotex, personal computers, points of information are among the most efficient. They can take into account forecast and real time information, integrate transport operator strategies, and provide information and advice corresponding to specific end users profile and request.
The DESPINA project deals with the realisation of a pre-trip planning information service, using telematic media, audiotex, videotex, personal computers, points of information.
The action of informing will consist of:
- time related information and advice for long, medium and short term traffic forecast so that users may modify their departure time or day;
- spatial information, giving advice on certain routes and warning against taking others;
- information about multimodal possibilities, giving advice about using complementary or alternative modes of transport.
Within this context, the main objectives of the DESPINA project are:
- to provide the appropriate set of tools and adequate information for effective pre-trip planning using different telematic dissemination media;
- to interlink the relevant databases in order to provide information and advice at a European level for the end users in each country.
This would allow to improve demand spreading at an international level.
For each media, the end users degree of acceptance of information and advice mentioned above will be measured and the potential impact on demand spreading will be assessed.
The test site for DESPINA project is composed by important links between London, Stuttgart, and Spain, crossing France and corresponding to important need for demand spreading because of regular important traffic problems due to holiday periods.
DESPINA will be developed by existing information operators in each country and is strongly linked with DRIVE 2 projectS, MELYSSA, PLEIADES, ARTIS and STORM.
Furthermore, a specific link will be implemented between DESPINA and the ERIC 2000 system.
Structure of the project
- The first phase will consist of a precise definition of the field trial and of the specification of the demand spreading pre-trip planning parameters to be considered in the 'Design development and implementation phase'. It will also consider the evaluation process with definition of the impact assessment criteria.
- The second phase will consist of the design-development-implementation-field trial activities regarding each media (audiotex, videotex, personal computers, points of information). Electronic supports and questionnaires for evaluation process will also be developed and implemented in this phase.
- The third phase will consist in the evaluation of the system and in the estimation of impact of information and advice on demand spreading (evaluation WP40).
Cooperation between countries
The cooperation between participating countries will provide a European dimension. This cooperation will be very important during the preliminary design phase for the definition of the common specifications of the demand spreading information services and the whole project for the evaluation attributes definition, implementation and processing.