Introducing a breakthrough product innovation, AMBI-ROBIC®, a disruptive Anaerobic Digestion process. For the first time, this technology can be used to treat municipal sewage wastewater at ambient temperatures. In this patent-protected process, unique psychrophilic (cold-loving) microbes’ breakdown and convert pollutants in the sewage to renewable biogas enabling the process to perform at ambient wastewater temperatures. (ambient definition: environmental conditions, existing in the surrounding area).
The AMBI-ROBIC® innovation offers many benefits for municipal utilities, driven to change by regulatory drivers – EU UWWTD mandates high-quality treatment and the new European Green Deal will mandate further dramatic reductions in carbon emissions.
• High treatment efficiency in terms of pollutant removal at the primary/secondary treatment stage;
• >80% less electricity consumed compared with the competition;
• No organic sludge production: Reduction in sewage sludge transportation & disposal costs;
• High-quality biogas by-product: 100% available for heat, power, fuel cell or vehicle fuel generation;
• Carbon Impact: 88% less carbon emissions than competition;
If implemented across 10% of the EU’s sewage treatment plants, the carbon impact would be equivalent to 282,000 cars removed from our roads.
The proposal addresses the following Green Deal goals:
• Increasing the EU’s climate mitigation and/or adaptation ambition
• Transitioning of industry to a clean and/or circular economy (including waste prevention and/or recycling)
• Preserving and restoring ecosystems and biodiversity
• Realising a zero-pollution ambition and a toxic-free environment
The overall result is an urgency within the municipal wastewater industry to change, adopting innovative low carbon and low energy treatment methods to achieve stricter environmental pollution control standards and meet climate change and carbon emission reduction regulations. AMBI-ROBIC® addresses these challenges.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/environmental sciences/pollution
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/renewable energy
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/fuel cell
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call