BioSupPBioSupPack goal is to deliver novel, cost-competitive and versatile bio-based packaging solutions based on PHA, that demonstrate high-performance for the packaging of food, cosmetics, homecare and beverage products as well as no environmental damage during & after their use, by means of:
1. Optimization of PHA based formulations based on significantly use of >85% w/w of renewable resources.
2. Upscale the different conversion processes as well as post-consumers waste sorting & recycling following advanced industry 4.0 approach.
3. Broad the range of rigid packaging applications by tailoring biobased materials & packaging properties through the optimization of the formulations in combination with plasma technology or grafted coatings.
4. Integrate plasma technology in 3 different points of the value chain(biomasss pre-treatment, packaging production & packaging waste pre-treatment) increasing: i)PHB production yield, ii)PHB purity, iii) packaging performance(high oxygen & water barrier) and iv effectiveness & yield of enzymatic recycling.
5. Demonstrate and increase recyclability through:i) setting up a real-time monitoring system for the selective separation of developed packaging after its use; ii) mechanical recycling of industrial scraps and selective enzymatic recycling of packaging waste as the best EoL, with the final recovery of carbon sources for feedstock fermentation. Thus, the new packaging is environmentally safe(sustainable and improved value from enzymatic recycling) and contributes to Circular Economy(CE).
6. Establish a new value chain including the development of logistics and management of both the brewery and packaging waste.
Complying with the industry needs (cost/performance competitive vs. fossil-based non-biodegradable counterparts and legislative compliance),as well as with consumers´ awareness, BioSupPack will have a great impact on EU bioplastics & end users’ sectors, the biorefineries and biotechnology industries and on the society.
Fields of science
- H2020-EU.2.1.4. - INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP - Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies – Biotechnology
- H2020-EU.3.2. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Food security, sustainable agriculture and forestry, marine, maritime and inland water research, and the bioeconomy
- H2020-EU.3.2.6. - Bio-based Industries Joint Technology Initiative (BBI-JTI)
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
D07 H6 Dublin
145 64 Athina