Periodic Report Summary - PIL-TO-MARKET (Towards Commercialization of Polymeric Ionic Liquids)
Up to now the PIL-TO-MARKET partners have been principally working in material synthesis. Obviously, special emphasis has been devoted to synthesis, characterisation and processing of novel Polymeric Ionic Liquids. Wide-ranging knowledge transfer between the partners involving MERs, ERs, ESRs and other staff member has been taking place during the whole period.
A breakdown of the main results achieved so far is listed below:
- Synthesis and characterisation of a range of novel high-purity ionic liquid monomers.
- Optimisation of polymerisation procedures and characterisation of the obtained polymers.
- Scale-up of monomeric and polymeric ionic liquids with improved parameters.
- Processing of polymeric ionic liquid as thin films.
- Generation of an exploitation plan (Economic viability studies, patents, publications etc.).
- Presentation of the project on an invited workshop 'Ionic Liquids and Polymers' (Lyon, France, 8 November 2010) and seminar on ionic liquids at CIDETEC.
- Publication in a high-impact journal (Macromol. Rapid Commun. 2010, 31, 1646-1651).
In the next period, the Polymeric Ionic Liquids developed within the project will be tested in several applications such as polymer electrolytes for advanced electrochemical devices, coatings (lubricants and polymeric surfactants) and dispersing agents in nanocomposites. A commercial evaluation of the Polymeric Ionic Liquids which show good device performances will be carried out.
Around month 36 of the project a two day workshop on Polymeric Ionic Liquids/ Synthesis and Applications will be organised in San Sebastián/Spain with the participation of all the IAPP researchers and in addition with invited researchers from outside the partnership. Particular attention will be paid to invite and attract potential industrial end users of polymeric ionic liquids and lectures on complementary skills such as project management and entrepreneurship will be organised.
By the end of the project it is expected that Solvionic will commercialise various monomeric and polymeric ionic liquids that have been developed during the project.