Fisheries landings of Nephrops novegicus (also known as Dublin Bay Prawn, Norway Lobster and Langoustine, among other names) are around 59,000 tons a year with a first sale value of close to €200 million.The NEPHROPS project is intended to bring together complementary information from survey, experimental and laboratory work. This combination of approaches is intended to create synergies and transfer of information between different research groups and the different SME and SME-AGs.
SME-AGs can start to reduce the isolation of SMEs by disseminating appropriate information, alongside information from other parts of the value chain (e.g., Whitby Seafoods Ltd, participant 7). The key outsourced RTD deliverables can be matched against questions that SME –AGS have posed when askd to evaluate options for Nephrops creeling or enhancement as follows:
Which habitat is of most value for creeling and as possible expansion areas?
Objective - Nephrops habitat suitability maps
• Is there a robust and cheap way for an SME to survey novel areas in the future?
Objective -Site assessment protocol
• How do recently released individuals move?
Objective - Report on movements of recently released individuals including analysis by sex, size and reproductive status (berried females)
• Does stocking work?
Objective - Report detailing survival and residency post release of seeded stock and growth of ranched stock.
• Can baits be improved?
Objective -Novel baits manufactured and their potential for creel fishery evaluated
• Can local stock be subsidized with additional food for faster growth?
Objective -Juvenile Feed enhancement
• Can pots be improved, particularly with respect to selectivity?
Objective -Creel prototype completed and evaluated
• How could a hatchery be set up?
Objective - Hatchery handbook
• What is the best way of returning wild-caught discards and hatchery-reared Nephrops?
Objectives - Release protocol for Nephrops and release equipment.
Field of science
- /agricultural sciences/agriculture, forestry, and fisheries/fisheries
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeBSG-SME-AG - Research for SME associations/groupings
KW15 1UB Kirkwall
PA34 4XA Oban Argyll