As of today, analysis and design methods in aeronautical industry, particularly the aerodynamic simulation tools based on Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and their multidisciplinary extensions (such as fluid-structure; fluid-thermal; aero-acoustics applications), are based on simulations with a unique set of input data and model variables. However, realistic operating conditions are a superposition of numerous uncertainties under which the industrial products operate (uncertainties on boundary and initial conditions, on geometries resulting from manufacturing tolerances, numerical error sources and uncertain physical model parameters. The presence of these uncertainties is the major source of risk in the design decision process and increases therefore the level of risks of failure of a given component.
The objective of NODESIM-CFD is to introduce these uncertainties within the simulation process by applying non-deterministic methodologies to provide tools for the evaluation and quantification of uncertainties in aerodynamic and thermal performance predictions, supporting hereby the goals of enhanced design confidence, risk reduction and improved safety.
The NODESIM-CFD project is composed of the following action lines:
- The identification and probabilistic quantification of the most significant uncertainty sources, related to CFD and multidisciplinary based simulations, of aeronautical components (wings, aircraft and engines)
- The development and incorporation of efficient non-deterministic methodologies i nto the CFD simulation systems to produce reliability bounds of the predictions in a rational way.
- Application and evaluation of the developed methodologies to the non-deterministic analysis of aeronautical components by the industrial manufacturers.
- T he development and application of robust CFD-based design methodologies incorporating the non-deterministic based simulations, enabling rational estimates of probabilities of failure.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesmathematicsapplied mathematicsnumerical analysis
- engineering and technologymechanical engineeringvehicle engineeringaerospace engineeringaeronautical engineering
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencessoftware
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesclassical mechanicsfluid mechanicsfluid dynamics
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencescomputational sciencemultiphysics
- engineering and technologymechanical engineeringvehicle engineeringaerospace engineeringaircraft
- natural sciencesmathematicspure mathematicsgeometry
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesclassical mechanicsfluid mechanicscomputational fluid dynamics
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call