"Pharmaceuticals in the Environment" is an issue receiving growing attention. About 4000 medical compounds are being used in the drugs applied today. It is estimated that worldwide consumption of active compounds amounts to some 100 000 tons or more per year. Consequently, there is a need to highlight the most important questions and issues related to presence of pharmaceuticals in the environment. What we ought to know to understand the occurrence, the fate and the effects of pharmaceuticals in order to se t up environmental risk assessment?
By pulling together results of previous and on going EU projects and published data from both governmental sources and scientific literature, by involving manufacturers in supplying data on production and usage of pharmaceuticals, KNAPPE project will carry out the state of knowledge and put emphasis on questions deserving attention such as:
- What is the spectrum of most relevant pharmaceutical products (PP's) for the aquatic environment? Which indicators for supporting environmental managers, health authorities?
- What is the efficiency of urban and industrial sewage treatment plants over a year? What is the fate and behaviour of PP's in sewage treatment plants? If receiving waters are used for potable water supplies, does the presence of these compounds represent a potential hazard to human health?
- Could we solve some problems by environmental or cleaner technologies?
- What regulatory approaches, incentives, prevention actions can be implemented in order to lower PP's concentration in the environment? Does a European practical guidance can be developed?
- Can the impacts of PPs on the environment be reduced through the use of eco-pharmaco-stewardship approaches including the use of clean synthesis, classification and labelling, and better communication of methods of 'good practice'?
- How can we better monitor the environmental impact of a pharmaceutical once it has received a marketing authorisation?
- sciences naturellessciences de la Terre et sciences connexes de l'environnementhydrologie
- sciences socialesautres sciences socialessciences sociales interdisciplinairesdéveloppement durable
- sciences médicales et de la santémédecine fondamentalepharmacologie et pharmacieproduit pharmaceutique
- ingénierie et technologiegénie de l'environnementprocédés de traitement des eauxprocédés de traitement de eau usée
Appel à propositions
Voir d’autres projets de cet appel
Régime de financementSSA - Specific Support Action