The WCAM project will study, develop and validate a wireless (WLAN) seamless and secured end-to- end networked audio-visual system focused on the technology convergence between video surveillance and multimedia distribution over the Internet. It will take into account real time aspects as well as security and scalability. The project will improve state of the art technologies in each of the technological components involved in the system and combine them. The WCAM system will be installed and tested with users of both multimedia distribution and video surveillance communities. Recent progresses in flexible bit streams representation of video including Region-of-lnterest (ROI) have led to new standardisation efforts in the frame of JPEG-2000.
WCAM will pursue and enforce these works, integrating concerns like wireless, security, and annotations obtained by high-level analysis. WCAM delivery scenario includes both JPEG-2000 and MPEG-4 AVC platforms, which requires also addressing the efficient and seamless transcoding between these two recent standards.
The WCAM platform will include the following key modules:
- Camera video encoding incorporating scene analysis, object tracking and adaptive and efficient video coding
- Automatic detection of events through scene analysis
- Scalable access to video content through transcoding and Scalable Video Coding of MPEG
- Multimedia storage and distribution
- Wireless networking for local connectivity (WLAN)
- Security, both at the network and content levels
- Metadata driven access to content
The technologies and systems developed within WCAM will be validated during two trials:
- the first trial will take place in Annecy (France) during the festival of animated movies in 2005
- the second trial will be done in a video surveillance site and will demonstrate the ability to operate a video surveillance platform on a wireless network.
Funding SchemeSTREP - Specific Targeted Research Project
74940 Annecy Le Vieux
74016 Annecy Cedex
92360 Meudon La Foret
BS8 1TH Bristol