The objectives of the NoE MIND are to increase the level of understanding of all phenomena in piezoelectric materials and structures, and to apply this knowledge to the design of new and improved devices such as sensors, transducers, actuators and motors f or applications ranging from medical diagnostics and therapy to industrial measurements, as well as transportation and products for the citizens. This NoE proposal aims at the creation of a European Institute on piezoelectric materials, structures and devi ces; through durable integration of research teams covering expertise ranging from material synthesis to integrated device development. The scientific objectives will concentrate on miniaturisation and integration of piezoelectric structures (mainly on sil icon), and multifunctional devices such as multiple sensors or intelligent structures, in which the piezoelectric properties are combined with other properties to obtain new or improved devices. This will be made possible through the association of a wide range of scientific competencies (chemistry and process engineering, solid state physics, material characterisation and measurement science, micro-/nano-technology and MEMS, numerical modelling, device design, manufacture and test) all working towards com mon objectives: investigation of phenomena in piezoelectric/ferroelectric materials, optimisation of properties for different applications, and integration of piezoelectric structures in devices. Such expertise is currently disseminated in many groups thro ughout Europe, without common management structures. MIND network will therefore integrate human resources and equipment both scientifically (exchange of personnel, methods, processes) and structurally (information flow, interactive internet resources and forums, meetings, common scientific strategy and organisation, common training degrees). A durable administrative structure is expected to be set up before the end of Year 3 of MIND.
Fields of science
- natural sciencesphysical sciencesacoustics
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectrical engineeringpiezoelectrics
- engineering and technologymedical engineeringdiagnostic imaging
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsensors
- natural sciencesphysical sciencescondensed matter physicssolid-state physics
- FP6-NMP - Nanotechnologies and nanosciences, knowledge-based multifunctional materials and new production processes and devices: thematic priority 3 under the 'Focusing and integrating community research' of the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme 2002-2006.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call