The objective of MOSAIC is to analyse, design, specify and implement an open modular architecture for motion control (OMC) for handling equipment (industrial robots), automatic vehicles (mobile autonomous robots) and special-purpose systems (motion-oriented shop-floor systems).
The architecture design referred both to hardware and software. The resulting architecture consists of functional modules with open interfaces. By the definition of different control levels of sophistication, the application spectrum ranges from low cost controllers up to complex motion controllers for redundant robot kinematics. Modularity and flexible configurability of the control architecture is ensured by the use and preparation of standardized external interfaces, bus systems, communication protocols and internal interface descriptions.
Modular and unified motion control systems will enrich the control equipment market by:
- exchangeability of control systems and components
- configuration and adaptation by the system integrator
- higher production volumes of standardized control products
- new control applications at reasonable costs for the user
- market access for SMEs to a multi-vendor market
NE35 9PE Boldon
5600 MD Eindhoven