The thermal properties of nanostructured materials are of fundamental importance to modern technology, but at present reproducible metrological definitions, tools and methods do not exist. This is because the mechanisms of heat transport at the nanoscale are entirely different to those at the macro scale.
The project will place nanothermal metrology on a solid basis by an integrated physics-based experimental and modelling effort to:
• Define a common terminology for nanothermal measurement
• Realise standard materials and devices for measurement and calibration of nanothermal measurements
• Develop new instruments and methods for traceable nanothermal measurement
• Develop calibrated and validated thermal models covering the range from atomic to macro-scale
• Apply these tools to selected representative industrial problems
• Assess the tools for suitability for adoption as potential standards of measurement including their traceability and reproducibility
The objectives will be achieved by a team comprising physicists, materials scientists, modellers, instrumentalists, microscopists, industrial partners (including SMEs and OEMs) and National Measurement Institutes.
The outputs of QUANTIHEAT will be embodied in highly characterised reference samples, calibration systems, measurement tools, numerical modelling tools, reference measurements and documented procedures. The availability of calibrated numerical modelling tools will facilitate the rapid “digital” thermal design of new nanosystems without the need for extensive prototyping. Their validation against experiment over all length scales will provide a solid basis for the deployment of new nanostructured materials, devices and structures having optimised performance without the need for excessively conservative design. Standardization is a key driver of industrial and scientific progress: QUANTIHEAT is expected to constitute a de-facto standard for a key area of physical measurement at the nanoscale worldwide.
Field of science
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport
- /engineering and technology/nanotechnology/nano-materials
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP-IP - Large-scale integrating project