The goal of GINSEC is to build a pre-commercial prototype of a low-cost, accurate and reliable naviga-tion system for professional drone market.
Consumer-type navigation systems work quite well in general use despite the many practical problems that still affect them. Most noticeable in vehicle navigation are the slow time to first fix (up to a few min-utes), poor or no availability (outages in tunnels or dense cities), slow dynamics and poor accuracy (enough to occasionally miss an exit) and lack of a heading indication. If these problems can be annoy-ing to an occasional user, they may be critical to professional ones, especially if operating under emer-gency conditions (ambulance services, fire brigades).
GINSEC aims at developing a navigation system that should solve these problems with various sensor configuration and fusion approaches:
1. Redundant low-cost inertial units to improve dynamics and availability of navigation, possibly using a tightly coupled approach.
2. Antenna arrays, to obtain heading estimation and beam forming to attenuate multi-path and interfer-ers.
3. Map-assisted navigation: map database is actively used in the navigation filter to improve accuracy over traditional (e.g. stay on road) approaches.
The GINSEC consortium consists of SMEs and RTD performers that are active in the GNSS/INS market. RTDs will mainly study and develop the data fusion algorithms for navigation, while the SMEs will de-velop, manufacture and test the prototype navigation system. The challenge is to implement and inte-grate all above technologies in the frame of limited size, weight and cost imposed by the drone market requirements. Through their collaboration, the partners aim to develop a navigation solution directly ex-ploitable on various kinds of drones.
Field of science
- /social sciences/economics and business/business and management/commerce
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/navigation systems
- /social sciences/sociology/governance/public services
- /engineering and technology/electrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineering/electronic engineering/robotics/autonomous robots/drones
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeBSG-SME - Research for SMEs