MAGIC is a proposal coordinated by the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology (ICTA) of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB) in collaboration with partners which have a proven and track record in their respective fields of competence.
Our objective is to open the path towards a new way of managing the Nexus in which researchers and decision makers work together in the search for development strategies that can contribute to the smart, sustainable and inclusive economic growth required by the EU 2020 Strategy, while maintaining a leading and informed participation in international discussions about global issues, like climate change or food security.
In order to do so, MAGIC deploys a set of novel, cutting-edge and system-oriented approaches that originates from system ecology, bio-economics and Science and Technology Studies. Their combination allows MAGIC to highlights if a certain mix of EU policies results in undesirable or unforeseen outcomes. Climate, water, land energy, and food modeling are integrated into a socio- and bio-economics framework using an iterative and participatory method. Significant care is taken to embed these ideas and approaches within the advisory and decision making functions of the European Commission.
Impacts are twofold.
First, MAGIC contributes a methodological framework where the needs for advice of different DG in the design of development strategies for the EU are covered using a method that can embrace the complexity of the nexus, for a better understanding of the interactions it holds.
Second, the project provides ‘on the flight’ advice to the EC about the timeliness and soundness for the EU 2020 Strategy and the EU position in international agreements of EU policies -like the Water Framework Directive, the Common Agricultural Policy, or the Low-Carbon Economy Strategy- and targets of implementing technologies -such as fracking, desalination, biofuels and GMOs.
Field of science
- /natural sciences/chemical sciences/analytical chemistry/quantitative analysis
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/fossil energy/natural gas
- /social sciences/economics and business/economics/bioeconomy
- /social sciences/other social sciences/social sciences interdisciplinary/sustainable development
- /engineering and technology/industrial biotechnology/biomaterials/biofuels
- /engineering and technology/other engineering and technologies/food and beverages/food safety
- /natural sciences/mathematics/applied mathematics/mathematical model
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/environmental sciences
- /social sciences/sociology/governance
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/electric vehicles
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call