Periodic Reporting for period 2 - VitruVius (The Genetics and Physiology of Growth and Size Determination)
Reporting period: 2018-07-01 to 2019-12-31
Our main objectives for this project are:
- to understand the link between organ growth and the program of development.
- to understand the coordination between the growth of different organs in response to abnormal growth (injury, tumor) and during normal development.
- We have identified a conserved signal that is sent by the brain to coordinate the end of juvenile growth with the transition to adulthood.
- We are studying the mechanisms linking tumor growth and host tissue wasting, similar to what is observed during cancer-induced cachexia.
- We have started a new line of research aimed at understanding the mechanisms selecting for perfect bilateral symmetry of organs in a population of individuals.
During the time remaining, we expect to further increase our knowledge on the key aspects of our project, i.e.
- understanding the molecular aspects of organ growth sensing and coordination
- deciphering the mechanisms linking tumor growth and systemic wasting
- deciphering the mechanisms of sexual selection allowing maintaining individuals with proper body proportion in a population.