For proGIreg three front-runner cities (Dortmund (DE); Turin (IT); Zagreb (HR))will create Living Labs in urban areas which face the challenge of post-industrial regeneration. These areas suffer from social and economic disadvantages, inequality and related crime and security problems. They lack quality greenspaces, have a negative impact on human health and wellbeing and are more vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Going beyond the current state-of-the-art with Green Infrastructure as a one-off state intervention, the proGIreg Living Labs will develop NBS which are citizen owned and co-developed by state, market and civil society stakeholders. Innovation will take place on the technical level through the NBS deployments, on the social level through co-designing, co-creating and co-implementing NBS with local communities and on the economic level through combining NBS with market-ready business models. Four follower cities in Eastern and Southern Europe (Cascais PT, Cluj-Napoca RO, Piraeus GR, Zenica BA) will be co-steering the research process to assure replicability and adaptability to their local context resulting in urban plans for NBS deployment. The NBS to be tested i.a. include: regenerating industrial soils biotic compounds, creating community-based urban agriculture and aquaponics and making renatured river corridors accessible for local residents.
Scientific assessment and monitoring results from the Living Labs will be made available on the EU NBS platforms OPPLA and THINKNATURE and will contribute to the European reference framework for NBS. Global impact will be achieved by a training programme for cooperative planning, implementation and management of NBS. It will be provided by partners from the cities, SMEs and universities involved. Training events will be organised in cooperation with the partner ICLEI. Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) will be distributed via EdX, the most renowned MOOCs platform worldwide.
Fields of science
- H2020-EU.188.8.131.52. - Further our understanding of biodiversity and the functioning of ecosystems, their interactions with social systems and their role in sustaining the economy and human well-being
- H2020-EU.184.108.40.206. - Provide knowledge and tools for effective decision making and public engagement
- H2020-EU.3.5. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Climate action, Environment, Resource Efficiency and Raw Materials
- H2020-EU.220.127.116.11. - Assess impacts, vulnerabilities and develop innovative cost-effective adaptation and risk prevention and management measures
- H2020-EU.18.104.22.168. - Support mitigation policies, including studies that focus on impact from other sectoral policies
- H2020-EU.22.214.171.124. - Developing integrated approaches to address water-related challenges and the transition to sustainable management and use of water resources and services
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action
10 000 Zagreb
2645 138 Alcabideche
185 35 Piraeus
10000 Zagreb Grad Zagred