SAMS enhances international cooperation of ICT and sustainable agriculture between EU and developing countries in pursuit of EU commitment to UN Sustainable Development Goal (SDG N°2) “End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture”.
Beekeeping with small-scale operations provides perfect innovation labs for demonstration and dissemination of cheap and easy-to-use open source ICT applications in developing countries.
Bee health and sustainable beekeeping are a key for sustainable agriculture worldwide. Risks of depleting honey production threatens livelihoods of beekeepers, but degradation of pollination power of suffering bee colonies threats overall agricultural production and affects entire population.
SAMS allows active monitoring and remote sensing of bee health and beekeeping by developing appropriate ICT solution supporting management of bee health and bee productivity and a role model for effective international cooperation.
Summarized, SAMS addresses requirements of end-user communities on beekeeping in developing countries. It includes technological improvements and adaptation as well as innovative services creation in apiculture based on advanced ICT and remote sensing technologies.
SAMS increases production of bee products, creates jobs (particularly youths/ women), triggers investments and establishes knowledge exchange through networks. SAMS results are of major interest for stakeholder along the whole value chain of honey production. By cooperation with other networks, SAMS technology will be promoted worldwide to beekeepers as well as data beneficiaries.
SAMS will be implemented in seven workpackages. Project participants in these workpackages are: GIZ, UNIKAS, UNILV, UNIGRA, UNPAD, CVPI, HOLETA and ICEADDIS.
Required project duration conducts 36 months. Necessary EU funding amounts to 1.999.869,25 €
Fields of science
- social scienceseconomics and businesseconomicsproduction economicsproductivity
- humanitieslanguages and literatureliterature studies
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencesdata sciencedata processing
- social sciencesother social sciencessocial sciences interdisciplinarysustainable development
- engineering and technologyother engineering and technologiesfood and beveragesfood safety
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesagriculturesustainable agriculture
- natural sciencesbiological scienceszoologyentomologyapidology
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringremote sensing
- agricultural sciencesanimal and dairy scienceapiculture
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeIA - Innovation action