Ennos is a Swiss company founded in 2006 as a spin-off of Berne University of Applied Sciences under the lead of Prof Dr. Andrea Vezzini, who has a long track record in solar energy and motor drive systems. We are an interdisciplinary team of experienced engineers and marketing experts, who have dedicated our efforts to develop and demonstrate sunlight2.0, a second generation of highly efficient, portable solar-powered irrigation pumps targeted for smallholders in isolated rural areas.
There are more than 570 million farms in the world, most of them being located in distant rural areas. Out of those farms, about 84% are smaller than 2 ha. Nowadays, bigger crop areas have to be put under irrigation to increase productivity due to a growing population that has to be fed. This implies a growing need for energy and water resources. Besides, 16% of the global population did not have access to electricity in 2016, mainly in rural areas where the majority of smallholders are located. Therefore, smallholder farmers need competitive solutions, economically affordable and efficient and that enable them to increase their profits.
sunlight2.0 is a portable and user friendly pump which is highly efficient and affordable to smallholders. sunlight2.0 has almost no maintenance costs and allows farmers to save the cost of diesel or electricity producing zero emissions. During Phase 2 project we expect to increase the efficiency of the pump, reduce weight and optimize production costs compared to our previous sunlight1.0 product. Completion of Phase 2 project and will require €1 million investment, that will provide an estimated ROI of 5.7 by 2025.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/water management/irrigation
- /engineering and technology/environmental engineering/energy and fuels/renewable energy/solar energy
- /natural sciences/earth and related environmental sciences/hydrology
- H2020-EU.3.3. - SOCIETAL CHALLENGES - Secure, clean and efficient energy
- H2020-EU.2.1.1. - INDUSTRIAL LEADERSHIP - Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies - Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)
- H2020-EU.2.3.1. - Mainstreaming SME support, especially through a dedicated instrument
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call