The European Cloud Initiative implementation encompasses different elements and will require a solid governance setup. A cornerstone of this governance is a Joint Undertaking, planned to start activities in 2019. HPC-GIG proposes intelligence gathering services from the European HPC stakeholders to this future ‘HPC Governance’ - HPCG. It aims to facilitate a timely start of its operations, transparently and non-intrusively leveraging the HPC community know-how, organised with enough flexibility to align project activities with the programme schedule and needs during its ramp-up phase, and deliver timely and useful input to the HPCG.
For this purpose the project will:
- establish an effective and responsive communication channel with the HPC Governance;
- engage all relevant stakeholders in the HPC and data ecosystem via dynamically managed ad hoc task forces;
- develop knowledge registries and consolidate networks of expertise which may already exist;
- link national and pan-European activities in the field, involving users, implementers and funders participating in the European HPC and Big Data activities;
- organise workshops for stakeholder groups and/or participating in already-existing strategic HPC events;
- create visibility and position the project within the European HPC and data ecosystem.
The project partners are Europe’s reference players in the main areas of concern:
(a) PRACE (Project Coordinator): provider of world-class HPC for scientific and industrial research;
(b) ETP4HPC: industry-led think tank of European HPC technology stakeholders;
(c) GEANT: the leading European collaboration providing advanced network, infrastructure and services for research and education.
The project partners are very active stakeholders interested in reaching the ECI objectives. Moreover, their in-depth knowledge of the field and the scope of their contacts will facilitate the involvement of users, implementers and funders from the European HPC ecosysstem.
Fields of science
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCSA - Coordination and support action
2341 NS Oegstgeest