The European Cloud Initiative implementation encompasses different elements and will require a solid governance setup. A cornerstone of this governance is a Joint Undertaking, planned to start activities in 2019. HPC-GIG proposes intelligence gathering services from the European HPC stakeholders to this future ‘HPC Governance’ - HPCG. It aims to facilitate a timely start of its operations, transparently and non-intrusively leveraging the HPC community know-how, organised with enough flexibility to align project activities with the programme schedule and needs during its ramp-up phase, and deliver timely and useful input to the HPCG.
For this purpose the project will:
- establish an effective and responsive communication channel with the HPC Governance;
- engage all relevant stakeholders in the HPC and data ecosystem via dynamically managed ad hoc task forces;
- develop knowledge registries and consolidate networks of expertise which may already exist;
- link national and pan-European activities in the field, involving users, implementers and funders participating in the European HPC and Big Data activities;
- organise workshops for stakeholder groups and/or participating in already-existing strategic HPC events;
- create visibility and position the project within the European HPC and data ecosystem.
The project partners are Europe’s reference players in the main areas of concern:
(a) PRACE (Project Coordinator): provider of world-class HPC for scientific and industrial research;
(b) ETP4HPC: industry-led think tank of European HPC technology stakeholders;
(c) GEANT: the leading European collaboration providing advanced network, infrastructure and services for research and education.
The project partners are very active stakeholders interested in reaching the ECI objectives. Moreover, their in-depth knowledge of the field and the scope of their contacts will facilitate the involvement of users, implementers and funders from the European HPC ecosysstem.
Field of science
- /social sciences/sociology/governance
- /social sciences/sociology/governance/public services
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/data science/big data
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCSA - Coordination and support action
1042 AC Amsterdam