Testing plant tolerance to heavy metals
Farmers and policymakers are starting to rethink some agricultural practices due to the release of agrochemicals into the environment causing heavy metal contamination in soils. This major environmental issue causes short-term losses in crop production, with long-term environmental and health implications. The EU-funded BACTEPEA will focus on the molecular interactions between a probiotic actinobacterium (Micromonospora cremea) and its host Pisum sativum (garden pea). It will investigate the capacity of the probiotic actinobacterium to boost plant tolerance to heavy metal polluted soils. The findings will assist in the formulation of improved soil management methods and sustainable agricultural practices.
Fields of science
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesagricultureagronomyplant protection
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesagriculturesustainable agriculture
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencessoil sciencesedaphology
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesenvironmental sciencespollution
- natural sciencesbiological sciencesmicrobiology