The operation of the rotary kiln with the Fuzzy Logic System was checked for a period of three months. All the required modifications and improvements of the expert system including the final set-up of the control strategies was performed, the first three (3) weeks of the evaluation period.
Operational results from the Fuzzy Logic System during the evaluating period indicate the following improvements:
- Fuel savings approximately 3,5%
- Up to 9% increase in the average hourly production rate
- Uniform and higher prereduction degree of lateritic ore by 2%
- Stable kiln operation
- Reduced emission to the environment due to the reduction of fuel consumption
- Higher run factor for the kiln (approximately 90%)
- Lower electric energy consumption in the electric furnaces through the higher prereduction degree of the lateritic ore.
According to some estimations the stable operation of the rotary kiln No. 4 and all the above mentioned improvements result in a 4% reduction of the total production cost.
An expert system will be developed for the control and optimization of the rotary kiln pre-heating and pre-reduction operations. This expert system will automize the operation of the rotary kilns used for metallurgical processing of the laterite ores. This is a novel application of expert systems due to reactions taking place in the kiln and the difficulty and importance of controlling kilns reducing atmosphere. It is expected that a more environmentally friendly rotary kiln operation will be achieved due to kilns optimization.
The main research tasks are:
i) Definition and reporting of all production parameters of the preheating kiln,
ii- development of the relationships between these production parameters,
iii) development of an expert system which easily achieve the optimum preheating kiln operating conditions,
iv) successful completion will increase productivity by 5% and will decrease fuels consumption by 5%.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts