The main objectives are as follows:
* To develop an operational system on consumer behaviour and changes of trends in food patterns. This system will be open to enterprises, research workers, support structures and decision makers involved in the promotion of local products for urban markets.
* To organise a databank with regular information on local food processing know-how and products. The databank will show communication channels and ways available to diffuse knowledge and know-how.
* To experiment and formalize an approach for transferring / learning and dissemination food processing know-how.
This project should enable the collection of regular information on the processes involved with innovations of know-how and to develop correlations with changes of food patterns over time.
The project should increase and develop local people's background knowledge of food processing. This will provide a base for developing productive economic activities, mainly small scale enterprise at a local level in rural and urban areas.
Formalizing a method for transferring / learning / disseminating know-how will provide the necessary tool to achieve this result. South-South cooperation will be strengthened because exchanges of know-how between African countries is one of the major aspects of this approach.
The key activities envisaged are:
* To develop a typology of consumers with reference to their food patterns.
* To characterize know-how and technical systems used locally to process food products for the urban markets, and identifying resources locally available for processing.
* To develop the information system to obtain regular data on changes in food consumption patterns.
* To analyse the dynamics of know-how and to set-up a method of diagnoses of the technical systems by identifying the basic factors and conditions that structure the learning, transfer and dissemination of know-how.
* To build-up, and to test, a practical method for transfer learning and wide dissemination of local know-how and innovations.
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts