The objectives of the project are:
the selection of a combined heat and power (CHP) application for a Molten Carbonate Fuel Cell-System with Direct Internal Reforming (DIR-MCFC) in the range of 200-2000 kWe and fuelled with natural gas;
the development of a conceptual system design for this application with optimal reduction of the system complexity and investment cost; the development of a second generation DIR-MCFC technology based on the system requirements, with an innovative approach to life-time extension and with highly efficient thermal, hydraulic and electrolyte management.
Application selection and end-user requirements:
The European market for medium sized (0.5 - 10 MWe), natural gas fuelled, cogeneration systems is emerging. Typical applications will be selected for which the characteristics of DIR-MCFC are expected to give added market value.
System cost reduction is the major guideline for the system design studies carried out in the project. Compared to External Reforming (ER) systems, Direct Internal Reforming (DIR) has advantages regarding the simplicity and cost of both the stack and the system.
Design concepts for a second generation internal manifolded DIR stack are currently being developed. The key issues are:
- Optimisation of interfaces between stack and system
- Improved thermal management
- Improved resistance to internal differential pressures
- Stack life-time extended to 25000 hours
Expected Achievements and Exploitation
Application of a DIR-MCFC in the range of 200-2000 kWe
- identification of a characteristic CHP application for a DIR-MCFC reference system with functional system specifications;
- specifications and development plans for components and sub-systems; - assessment of the relative position of DIR-MCFC in the CHP market. Conceptual system design
- a conceptual system design optimized for lower cost of energy, high overall efficiency and high flexibility in heat-to-power ratio. Second generation DIR-MCFC technology
- cell sealing for pressure differences up to 200 mbar;
- improved separator plate lifetime from 10000 to 25000 hrs; - improved porous component lifetime to 25000 hrs.
Invito a presentare proposteData not available
Meccanismo di finanziamentoCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
LE11 3GR Loughborough - Leicestershire
1755 ZG Petten
93211 La Plaine Saint-denis
4380 AA Vlissingen
1940 EB Beverwijk
205 09 Malmö