Known carburation procedures like
- solid layer (e.g. shaftcarburation by Imbert, Jul-oven, thermo process by Wamsler)
- solid bed (Winkler) (Kobra)
- free jet (Koppers-Totzek) (Prenflo)
- special procedures (Eisenbad, etc.) use air, oxygen or water steam as carburation medium.
Problems arise during carburation like
- varying heating value of the produced gas
- humidity, degree of carburation, residual coke
- tar content and the later engine coupling (new project) causes difficulties regarding return effects of the engine on carburation. The problems are decreased or almost totally removed by a suffieciently high carburation temperature ( 800-1000 C), long retention time and continuously operated carburation.
By fluidizing chamber carburation which can be classified between fluidizing chamber and free jet carburation, these requirements can be fulfilled. The fluidizing chamber carburation is deducted from fluidizing chamber combustion, which company Prufling has realized from 1985 up to now in three projects with the help of public support by the Federal Ministry for Research and Development, EU-Themmie, German Association for Environment. Thus all experiences which company Prufling made during the development of the combustion unit, are used in order to develop this carburation technology until the operation of a 200 kW pilot plant in the frame of this project. The gas engine of company Jenbacher is optimated regarding combustion, whereby company AVL-Graz optimizes the four-valve head regarding combustion technique and TU Graz optimizes the suction and exhaust section regarding flow technics. The main target is a considerably improved CO slip. A fluidizing chamber treatment serves for secondary combustion of combustible solid (coke) and gas (CO) components in order to keep in the values according to TA-air or TA-domestic waste (comparative standard).
The successful completion of the development of components - fluidizing chamber carburation, gas engine, fluidizing chamber treatment - is required for coupling to a complete plant (new project).
Funding SchemeCSC - Cost-sharing contracts
7522 NB Enschede
3047 AH Rotterdam