Silver nanoparticles and silver based nanostructured composites are being frequently used in a variety of biomedical and industrial applications, such as an antimicrobial agents, lead-free solders, electric contact materials, gas-sensitive sensor, etc. The most complicated Silver using problems are related to: i) recovery of silver from ore waste materials; ii) the controlled synthesis of metal nanoparticles of well-defined size, shape and composition; iii) nanoparticles incorporation to desired implant surfaces; iv) synthesis of Silver based nanostructured composites for industrial purposes. The main goal of the Project is to develop:
1. Clean and efficient procedure of silver recovery from waste: Combined Mechanical Activation – Thermal Oxidation Processing jarosite type residues to alleviate and accelerate the following precious metal leaching;
2. Combined nanotechnology of biological synthesis (use of plants for the nanoparticles synthesis) of Ag nanoparticles and its deposition on implant surfaces by electrophoretic and plasma spraying deposition;
3. Nanostructuring technology of Silver based nanocomposites manufacturing for electrical contact applications.
Pilot production and trials of developed Ag nanoparticle modified implants and Ag based nanostructured composites:
1. TiO2 and Hydroxyapatite Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2) coated implants which are widely used in orthopaedic surgery because of their good biocompatibility related to the osteoconductive properties of calcium phosphate coating;
2. Ag-SnO contacts for electrical systems; these composites combine high resistance to welding and to electric arch erosion of the refractory phases with the high electric and thermal conductivities.
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/materials engineering/nanocomposites
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call