Silver nanoparticles and silver based nanostructured composites are being frequently used in a variety of biomedical and industrial applications, such as an antimicrobial agents, lead-free solders, electric contact materials, gas-sensitive sensor, etc. The most complicated Silver using problems are related to: i) recovery of silver from ore waste materials; ii) the controlled synthesis of metal nanoparticles of well-defined size, shape and composition; iii) nanoparticles incorporation to desired implant surfaces; iv) synthesis of Silver based nanostructured composites for industrial purposes. The main goal of the Project is to develop:
1. Clean and efficient procedure of silver recovery from waste: Combined Mechanical Activation – Thermal Oxidation Processing jarosite type residues to alleviate and accelerate the following precious metal leaching;
2. Combined nanotechnology of biological synthesis (use of plants for the nanoparticles synthesis) of Ag nanoparticles and its deposition on implant surfaces by electrophoretic and plasma spraying deposition;
3. Nanostructuring technology of Silver based nanocomposites manufacturing for electrical contact applications.
Pilot production and trials of developed Ag nanoparticle modified implants and Ag based nanostructured composites:
1. TiO2 and Hydroxyapatite Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2) coated implants which are widely used in orthopaedic surgery because of their good biocompatibility related to the osteoconductive properties of calcium phosphate coating;
2. Ag-SnO contacts for electrical systems; these composites combine high resistance to welding and to electric arch erosion of the refractory phases with the high electric and thermal conductivities.
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeCP-FP - Small or medium-scale focused research project
See on map