The aim of the SECURESTATION project is to improve passenger station and terminal resilience to terrorist attacks and safety incidents through technologies and methodologies enabling design to reduce the impact of blast, fire and the dispersion of toxic agents on passengers, staff and infrastructure.
SecureStation will consider threats from terrorist attacks and safety incidents caused by blast, fire and accidental or deliberate particle dispersion. The four project objectives are:
1. To increase resilience of passenger stations and terminals through structural design, interior design, and building services design, realising everyday benefits while designing for security.
2. To ensure cost-effectiveness of countermeasures through application of risk analysis methodologies to prioritise actions taken in design and operation of passenger stations and terminals
3. To deliver a Constructive Design Handbook addressing new build and retro-fit cases to serve as a powerful decision support tool for owners and operators to increase station security and safety from terrorist bomb blast, CBRN attacks involving particle dispersion, and fire events.
4. To create harmonization and the standardization of risk assessment methodologies, technologies and design solutions thereby supporting wide application by the numerous EC public transport organisations and associated key stakeholders.
Therefore, the main focus of the SecureStation proposal will be to produce the necessary tools to build safer and more secure infrastructure whilst providing maximum operating resilience. The proposal covers the development of Risk Assessment Methodology (including simulation results), specifically focusing on passenger stations/ terminals (a scenario specific methodology) and the development of a Constructive Design Handbook. These two main outputs will be accompanied by dissemination activity at a transport security conference, and through an extensive End User group.
Field of science
- /social sciences/social and economic geography/transport/public transport
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call