STEPWISE is a solid sorption technology for CO2 capture from fuel gases in combination with water-gas shift and acid gas removal. The main objectives of the proposed STEPWISE project is to scale up the technology for the CO2 capture from Blast Furnace Gases (BFG) with three overall demonstration goals in comparison to state-of-the-art amine-based technologies:
• Higher carbon capture rate – i.e. lower carbon intensity, 85% reduction
• Higher energy efficiency – i.e. lower energy consumption for capture (SPECCA ), 60% reduction
• Better economy – i.e. lower cost of CO2 avoided, 25% reduction
The STEPWISE project will achieve this by the construction and the operation of a pilot test installation at a blast furnace site enabling the technology to reach TRL6 as the next step in the research, development and demonstration trajectory. Hence further reducing the risk of scaling up the technology.
The STEPWISE project has the potential to decrease CO2 emissions worldwide by 2.1Gt/yr based on current emission levels. The conservative estimate is that by 2050, a potential cost saving of 750 times the research costs for this project will be realized each year every year, with a much larger potential. The overall objective is to secure jobs in the highly competitive European steel industry, a sector employing 360 thousand skilled people with an annual turnover of €170 billion.
Fields of science
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringenergy and fuelsrenewable energy
- social scienceseconomics and businesseconomics
- natural scienceschemical sciencesorganic chemistryamines
- natural sciencesearth and related environmental sciencesatmospheric sciencesclimatologyclimatic changes
- engineering and technologyenvironmental engineeringcarbon capture engineering
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeRIA - Research and Innovation action