The TransSec project addresses a new danger in European countries, the increasing number of terror attacks. Recent terror attacks with trucks in Nice and Berlin have shown drastically the damage a heavy truck can cause, how easy it is to misuse a truck for attacks and that newest safety systems cannot prevent these attacks. As a consequence road transport safety has to be supplemented by road transport security. TransSec aims to initiate the development of this Security Truck.
The project objective is:
Development and evaluation of systems built-in or to be used by trucks for secure road transport of (dangerous) goods.
Preventing trucks and transport of goods to be misused for other purposes such as terror attacks.
Specific objectives are:
• Precise vehicle positioning and navigation on road (lane) and off road
• Vehicle movement monitoring for dangerous goods with critical area alarm/eCall
• Vehicle communication security for critical information exchange
• Onboard precrash environment detection of vulnerable objects on/ off road
• Non-defeatable autonomous emergency manoeuvring for crash prevention on/off road
The implementation is done in an explorative and incremental development cycle with early prototypes adding functionality step by step. Demonstrations with a truck on and off road will show solutions after 12, 24 and 36 months. Testing and pilots on public roads and public areas will prove a higher level of security.
Fields of science
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencescomputer securitydata protection
- social sciencessocial and economic geographytransportnavigation systemssatellite navigation systemglobal navigation satellite system
- natural sciencescomputer and information sciencessoftwaresoftware development
- engineering and technologyelectrical engineering, electronic engineering, information engineeringelectronic engineeringsensors
- social sciencessocial and economic geographytransportnavigation systemsinertial navigation system
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call