The ASIMIA technical objectives aim to improve the predictive capabilities of current aerodynamic simulation tools in industry, based on Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), by applying High Order Methods (HOM) instead of current second order approximations.
HOM for CFD has a strong potential towards higher reliability of the predicted results, leading to enhanced design process, lower costs and reduced time-to-market of challenging future designs.
It is generally considered that HOM could form the next generation of industrial CFD tools, but the competitiveness and adequacy of the HOM approaches for CFD has still to be demonstrated for industrial applications. ASIMIA aims at removing some of the current limitations for high-fidelity industrial applications, leading to a new generation of CFD tools with a high level of efficiency and maturity. NUMECA, an innovative SME acting as CFD and multiphysics software developer is joining with the Center for Numerical Simulation of the School of Aeronautics at Universidad Polytecnica Madrid (UPM) and three Industrial Partners from three different sectors, Aviation with AIRBUS, Car Aerodynamics with McLAREN F1 and Industrial Appliance Industry with DYSON, to lead 5 doctorates towards innovative simulation methods and relevant industrial applications.
In addition, ASIMIA will
• consolidate a joint PhD training program to foster research in the areas of contemporary fluid dynamics and multiphysics numerical simulation
• improve the transfer of knowledge between academia, SME's and industry, establishing a long- term collaboration and dissemination strategy
• enhance the preparation of highly trained and skilled young engineers to careers in the high-tech industries
• enhance researchers career perspectives in numerical simulation, through the transfer of developed algorithms into industrial CFD codes, learning hereby about the requirements of the software industry in terms of quality, robustness and reliability
Field of science
- /engineering and technology/mechanical engineering/vehicle engineering/aerospace engineering/aeronautical engineering
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/computational science/multiphysics
- /natural sciences/computer and information sciences/software
- /natural sciences/physical sciences/classical mechanics/fluid mechanics/fluid dynamics
Call for proposal
See other projects for this call
Funding SchemeMSCA-ITN-EID - European Industrial Doctorates
SN16 0RP Malmesbury
GU21 4YH Woking