Regional crops a competitive alternative to cereal crops
The rising demand in cereal crops for edible or bioenergy use leads to the exploration of the nutritional values of orphan crops. Orphan crops are crops important on a regional level but absent from the global market. Teff is an edible crop known in Ethiopia for its high nutritional value and its resistance to hard climate conditions. The EU-funded SUPERTEFF project aims to study the possibilities of transforming teff from an orphan crop to a globally competitive super crop. Study outcomes will offer a new sustainable solution for producing super crops that addresses our concerns about global food security and sustainable agriculture.
Fields of science
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesagriculturesustainable agriculture
- social scienceseconomics and businesseconomicsproduction economicsproductivity
- medical and health scienceshealth sciencesnutrition
- natural sciencesmathematicspure mathematicsarithmeticsprime numbers
- agricultural sciencesagriculture, forestry, and fisheriesagriculturegrains and oilseedscereals