Periodic Reporting for period 1 - MASTERCOW (MASTERCOW, an antibiotic-free bioinorganic therapy for bovine mastitis)
Periodo di rendicontazione: 2018-08-01 al 2019-01-31
• Animal welfare: cows suffer, they need to be separate from other animals in 1/3 cases, the mastitis becomes chronic and causes death ;
• Mastitis therapy may cause several economic damages: milk is discarded for at least 15 days and the cost of antibiotics and veterinaries may rise up to 400€ per heard
• Antibiotics may compromise safety of milk, since residual may have side effect for human health, causing food intolerance and allergies.
CNT LAB has developed an innovative treatment for bovine mastitis that it is not based on antibiotics and can cure dairy cows in less time, with an higher success rate and at 10% of overall costs.
The PH1 project aimed at validating the product concept on the market and at fine tuning the distribution strategy by identifying the right commercial partners in addressed markets. A small pilot project has been run, to validate MASTERCOW approach.
• description of main problem;
• market analysis: structural features of target markets
• market validation study (i.e. contact with potential distributors);
• technical validation through small pilot project
• definition of a preliminary P&L account
EFSA (European Food Safety Authority) calls for actions to protect consumers from risks related to the food chain. When antimicrobial resistance occurs in zoonotic bacteria present in animals and food it can also compromise the effective treatment of infectious diseases in humans.
MASTERCOW project contributes to the implementation of these policies willing to provide on the market a more effective solutions for mastitis, without the use of conventional antibiotics. In doing this, the animal welfare is seriously considered: the EU has among the world’s highest standards of animal welfare