Periodic Reporting for period 1 - Optium (Smart charger device to increase smartphones’ battery lifetime, prevent fire accidents, and provide cross-brand flexibility)
Berichtszeitraum: 2019-05-01 bis 2019-10-31
The Optium project will achieve what has not been possible previously – to provide an affordable smartphone charger able to increase battery lifespan by 3 times, eliminate risk of battery overheating and fire, plus provide a user-friendly brand independent charging solution. Optium will address e-waste environmental issue in two ways: (1) By significantly increasing battery total lifetime by 3X - we expect that Optium users will keep their smartphones on average 40% longer and reduce e-waste per capita accordingly; (2) Opium graphics interface and dynamic LED indicator is a powerful visual tool to explain about lithium battery properties and about optimal usage. As a result, Optium will be an educational tool and will increase user awareness on the best way to increase the lifespan of their smartphones and reduce e-waste.
- Increase smartphone total battery lifespan by up 200- 300%. Optium interacts and overrides standard battery charging schemes implemented by default in smartphones/tablets;
- Increase usability: Optium can easily work with any smartphone device and tablet;
- Eliminate fire threat: Optium is constantly monitoring current, voltage and temperature between the charger and the device;
- Reduce e-wasted on Optium monitored smartphones. By significantly increasing battery total lifetime by 3X - we expect that Optium users will keep their smartphones on average 40% longer and reduce e-waste per capita accordingly;
- Our projection clearly demonstrates the commercial potential of our solution, which recoups the estimated €3,000,000 (the est. EIC Accelerator funding + own contribution) investment by 2024. By 2025, we foresee to earn more than €18m profit yearly. Our forecast estimates cumulative profits of €23m by 2025 with a return on investment of 669%;
- We estimate that the sales of the Optium project will allow us to increase our workforce up to 40 full time employees by year 4 post-project. These will mainly be related to high value jobs within engineering, business development, sales and marketing, as well as support and after-sales staff;
- We will install Optium patented technology not only on smartphone chargers, but also on walls on caravans, bedrooms, hotel rooms, and houses. This will allow us to target more customer segments and increase sales and socio-economic impact.